Conference: ‘Women, Suffrage and Society’
Thursday 18th June 2009, Edge Hill University
The Department of English and History is commemorating the long history of Edge Hill University in providing educational opportunities for women, and the recent award of research degree awarding powers to the University, by hosting a one day conference on ‘Women, Suffrage and Society’.
Taking place on Thursday 18th June 2009, the conference coincides with the centenary of a significant local and national event in the history of the British suffragette movement, the imprisonment of Lady Constance Lytton in Liverpool in 1909-1910.
Provisional keynote speakers include:
- Professor June Purvis (University of Portsmouth)
- Professor Fiona Montgomery (Bath Spa University)
- Professor Sheila Rowbotham (University of Manchester)
Call for Papers
The conference will be interdisciplinary and proposals are welcome from any subjects in the arts, humanities and social sciences, and relating to any country, geographical region or historical period since 1750.Possible topics might include:
- Representations of women in film;
- Any aspect of the history of the women’s suffrage movement in the United Kingdom, United States or other countries;
- Literary portrayals of women;
- Studies of individual women writers;
- The contemporary or historical role of women in politics and society;
- The feminist movement and feminist writers and campaigners;
- The role of women in the African American civil rights struggle;
The role of women in different cultural, ethnic or religious groups or organizations.
It should be noted that this list is not intended to be exhaustive. Proposals are welcome on any subject related to the theme of ‘Women, Suffrage and Society’ and it is hoped that the range of panels and papers at the conference will be as broad and diverse as possible.
Please submit abstracts of no more than 300 words for each paper (three speakers per panel) by Friday 30 January 2009. Proposals, which should also include name(s) of presenter(s), institutional affiliation, postal and e-mail addresses should be sent to either:
- Alyson Brown, Department of English and History, Edge Hill University, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England, L39 4QP
- Email: email@example.com
- Kevern Verney, Department of English and History, Edge Hill University, St Helens Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England, L39 4QP
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org