The Association for Research on Mothering (ARM), Mother Outlaws and Demeter Press present…
The FIRST EVER International Conference on
Mothering, Violence, Militarism, War and Social Justice
OCTOBER 22, 2008 – OCTOBER 26, 2008
McLaughlin College, York University, Toronto – rooms TBA
- Full 4-day conference (reg): $325 / Full 4-day conference (student) $175
Day Rate (reg): $150 / Day Rate (student): $80
The Conference features 140 papers, 35 sessions, 7 keynote panels and also includes the herstoric embedded conference: ‘You Say You Want a Revolution’: The Motherhood Movement of the 21st Century.
Registration includes 3 breakfasts, 2 receptions, a book launch…and a light lunch will be served on the final day of the conference (Oct 26).
Keynote Speakers Include:
- Flavia Cherry, National Chairwoman of the Caribbean Association for Feminist Research and Action (CAFRA)
- Gertrude Fester, Commissioner on the Commission of Gender Equality South Africa
- Sara Ruddick, author of Maternal Thinking: Toward a Politics of Peace
- Tiisetso Russell, Comparative, International and Development Education, University of Toronto
- Audette Sheppard, Founder, United Mothers Opposing Violence Everywhere (UMOVE)
*We are thrilled to announce that this conference will feature the touring Motherhood Exhibit – MOTHER: THE JOB, Building Human Capital, Building Human Beings, which puts an economic yardstick to the work of mothers. The exhibit consists of a short film, sculpture, photography, domestic artifacts, original writings and integrated art forms portraying the day-to-day life of the mother and her intricate relationship with her child, conveying the passion, intelligence and intuition that go into this, the world’s most important job.
Please visit our website for more information, and the full conference program!
Association for Research on Mothering (ARM)
Room 726, Atkinson, York University, 4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Tel: 416.736.2100 x 60366 Fax: 416. 736.5766